'The Human Element'
UT receives Justice Department grants to fund forensics research, with crime victims and their families imprinted on the field’s DNA.
New at Compass
- December 7, 2023As a second charter school prepares to open in Knox County, the school board is relearning what authority it has — and doesn’t have.
- December 7, 2023A weekly mystery photo to test your knowledge of the local landscape.
- December 6, 2023Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm is bullish on the benefits of TVA’s next-generation nuclear power project.
- December 5, 2023The Knox Education Foundation launches a $4.5 million campaign to fund school playgrounds, taking the burden off individual schools.
- December 4, 2023Girl Talk Inc., which provides mentoring and other support services for girls in Knoxville, plans to build a dedicated facility for its programs.
- December 1, 2023As Tennessee’s uninsured population grows, a study shows that Medicaid expansion would make a big impact.
- November 30, 2023The city joined Knox County in arranging for the nonprofit animal center to begin enforcement duties countywide on April 1.
- November 30, 2023A weekly mystery photo to test your knowledge of the local landscape.
- November 29, 2023A new scholarship program for school-aged children could fundamentally reshape education in Tennessee.
- November 28, 2023With farmers seeking to preserve their way of life, Knox County’s mayor will mull possible tweaks to the proposed long-range development strategy.
Local government affects your life every day. Compass gives you insights into the factors and forces shaping our city and county.
Recent HighlightsAll free to read and share.
- Choice Health Network’s harm reduction efforts aim to keep drug users alive so they can eventually get treatment.
- We are looking for good writers with stories to tell.
- For decades, Head Start programs have prepared disadvantaged young Knoxvillians for school. But a staffing shortage is leaving classrooms empty.
- As Knox County prepares to bid out its ambulance contract for the first time in a decade, we look at two potential bidders.
- Hundreds gather as Knox Pride pushes the LGBTQ community and its allies to action over proposed state legislation.