Making Early Connections
Brain science illustrates the importance of the first few years of a child’s life. Experts are seeking ways to promote healthy development.
New at Compass
- September 27, 2022A martial arts school leverages support from its patrons and community to win support from Knox County Commission.
- September 26, 2022The federal Inflation Reduction Act could help the city reach its emissions goals faster and offers incentives for businesses and individuals.
- September 26, 2022Every Monday, we run down the week’s public meetings and civic events.
- September 23, 2022A majority of respondents want to see restrictions lifted, and virtually all of them would like to see at least exemptions to the law.
- September 22, 2022With new leadership and support from UT Medical Center, the Free Medical Clinic continues its mission of serving uninsured workers.
- September 22, 2022A weekly mystery photo to test your knowledge of the local landscape.
- September 21, 2022The campus administration has proposed three new colleges and a revamped but largely intact College of Arts & Sciences.
- September 20, 2022A summer surge in demand for shelter has left Young-Williams Animal Center operating on “emergency only” status often in recent months.
- September 19, 2022Under Tennessee’s strict abortion ban, doctors confront emergency decisions under threat of prosecution — and no communication from the criminal justice system.
- September 19, 2022Every Monday, we run down the week’s public meetings and civic events.
Local government affects your life every day. Compass gives you insights into the factors and forces shaping our city and county.
Recent HighlightsAll free to read and share.
- Marijuana is still prohibited in Tennessee. But as a new boutique on Gay Street demonstrates, people are getting high legally anyway.
- As abortion becomes illegal in Tennessee from the point of fertilization, three women look back on their own experiences — and look ahead with foreboding.
- A contentious City Council joins County Commission and the Sports Authority in approving a new stadium financing plan.
- A proposal to build four mixed-use buildings along Cumberland Avenue would add more than 800 residential units to the UT campus area.
- Party affiliation and national issues are important in local elections for a majority of Power Poll members.